South Carolina State University has adopted Quality Matters as a best-practices framework for its peer-based approach to the continuous improvement of online courses. Quality Matters was designed based on the following principles:
- a faculty-driven, peer review process
- collegial, not evaluative or judgemental
- based upon a model of continuous improvement
- centered on the student experience
- a team-based, collaborative review
- designed to provide specific, detailed and constructive feedback and suggestions
- made to provide feebdack on course design, not course delivery
Quality Matters at SCSU uses:
- a rubric containing a set of standards based upon current literature, best practices and national standards for course design.
- these standards as a framework to design, revise and improve online courses.
- a review process where Instructional Designers provide feedback on online courses according to a set of standards (QM Rubric) for course design.
How Does It Work?
- Course Review Process at South Carolina State University.
How Do I Apply to Participate?
- Review the Course Review Process Checklist to ensure your course is ready to be reviewed.
What are the Application Requirements?
- Complete the Blackboard 9.1: Essentials workshop.
- Complete/Submit the Course Review Application. Choose option C on the Application.
- Have taught the course in a fully online format for at least two terms (at the time the course is reviewed).
- The course must be a completely online course.
- The course must be designed according to current and approved course outcomes.
- Please note that priority will be given to faculty members who have completed the Online Teaching Certificate Program.
Who Do I Contact for Questions?
Contact the Quality Matters Coordinator for SCSU if you have any questions:
Barbara Williamson-Holley, Assistant Director for Instructional Design and Distance Education
3rd Floor, Belcher Hall