Center for Teaching, Learning, and Extended Studies
The Center for Teaching, Learning, and Extended Studies (CTLES) provides South Carolina State University faculty with support, professional development opportunities and advocacy to enhance teaching and learning. Additionally, CTLES extends the educational outreach of the university to support quality learning experiences for citizens of South Carolina and beyond.
2016-2017 CTLES Accomplishments
- The CTLES sponsored the Leadership in Active Learning Initiative (LALI) aimed at preparing faculty to integrate the use of active learning strategies in the classroom to enhance student learning.
- In order to promote student retention, the CTLES provided enrollment support for students registering for Summer 2017 online courses offered through a partnership with the University of Phoenix.
- The CTLES Assessment Center proctored a total of 391 online examinations including tests for academic courses, NCAA exams and the English Proficiency Exam. The Assessment Center served 149 faculty and 8800 students (duplicate) count.
- The CTLES facilitated the development of the University’s Distance Education Policy which was approved by the Board of Trustees in January 2016.
- The CTLES assisted faculty in course development for a fully online Bachelor of Arts in Political Science-Public Administration and the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in Education Leadership degree programs.
- To promote the success of students learning online, the CTLES developed the University’s first Online Teaching Certificate course which examines best practices and techniques for facilitating learning online.
- The CTLES facilitated the application process for SC State University to become a member institution of the National Council for State Authorization and Reciprocity and Agreement (NC-SARA).
- 2017 Faculty Development Needs and Interest Survey Report (Adobe Acrobat Reader required)